The Fairview Church of God traces it’s beginning from a revival conducted at the Beulah Chapel Church. Merrill Akins, a 17 yr. old evangelist from Cleveland, TN, was expected to preach this one-week revival; however the Holy Spirit was moving so strongly that the revival was extended an additional week. From there, the revival services were relocated to a brush arbor, which is the current location of our cemetery. It was from this outpouring that 22 people were filled with the Holy Spirit and on November 9, 1941, the Fairview Church of God was organized with Merrill Akins accepting the role of pastor.
Theodore and Margaret Durham donated one-half acre of land for the building of the first church. And on Easter Sunday, April 18, 1942, the Fairview Church worshiped in their own building. This one room wooden structure was lighted by oil lamps and heated by a wood stove. Even though there was no piano several members would play the guitar while Theodore Durham led worship.
Twenty years later on Sunday, November 4, 1962, this church building burned. Following the fire various members volunteered their homes for worship service until renting the Payne Chapel.
In 1968, the Fairview Church of God welcomed Ollie A. Bethune as the new pastor and shepherd. With only a briar patch remaining on the original church site Pastor Bethune cast a vision and went to work to complete it. The new church was erected from concrete blocks in October 1968. Since that time the church has experienced two additions. And in 1991 the Family Life Center was built and dedicated to Kingdom Service.
From the outpouring of the Holy Spirit a loving church was born. May the Father continue to pour out upon his flock on these holy grounds.